Buenos Aires, Argentina, the place where the spirit of Tango was born, so when tourists visit this beautiful city they say that to get to know it you have to immerse yourself in the magic of dance.
Tango is a dance full of sensuality that was born during the 1800s, a musical style that results from the fusion between African culture and the local cultures of the gauchos and native peoples, in addition to the contribution of European immigrants –mainly, Spanish and Italian – and from the Middle East.
The elegant and passionate movement of tango shows the exotic cultural mix of the first tango dancers and the solemn melodies of this music offer the listener a glimpse into the lives of the first Argentine immigrants, and over time the tango later spread to the wealthier areas of Buenos Aires and at the beginning of the 20th century it became a sensation throughout Europe and the United States.
For many years, Tango Festivals have been held in Buenos Aires every year, being a very attractive event for both national and foreign citizens, where many professional Tango dancers participate and compete and this year it is organized again by the Ministry of Culture of the City of Buenos Aires, Tango BA Festival and Mundial who announced the champions in the categories Tango de Pista and Tango Escenario which was filling the Buenos Aires center with magic with more than 4000 people who enjoyed it with the Obelisk on Diagonal Street North as part of the stage.
The Tango BA Festival and Mundial was held from September 16 to 26, where shows, tributes and the best dancers performed on stage; more than 400 couples from Argentina, Brazil, Russia, Italy, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Spain, Romania, Poland, Malaysia, Turkey, United States, United Kingdom, China, Germany, Colombia, Indonesia, Ecuador, Mexico, Latvia, Georgia , Bolivia, Canada and Switzerland competed in the Tango de Pista and Tango Escenario categories in this edition of Tango BA Mundial.
The inauguration began on Thursday, September 16 at the Auditorium of the Usina del Arte at 7:30 p.m. where a tribute was made to maestro Aníbal Troilo (he was a bandoneonist, composer, orchestra conductor of Argentine tango) with the orchestral direction, arrangements and solo violin by Fabián Bertero, the special participation of the dancers Sandra Bootz and Gabriel Ortega, and the presence of notable guests such as the singer Sandra Luna and the pianist José “Pepe” Colangelo, the special production “Pichuqueando”.
- Starting at 5 pm: the Carlos Gardel Museum presents the Fileteadoras Talk, by Patricia Berman and Claudia Medori and in turn an interview by Silvia Brunelli and Mercedes González Bracco.
- At 6:00 pm: at the Abasto Shopping, the La Juan D’Arienzo Orchestra performed.
- Starting at 7:00 p.m., Hernán Reinaudo presented his album Toro mañero in the Chamber Room of @usinadelarte
- 7:30 pm: María Garay presented 80 years of Life and Song, in Concert, at the Auditorium of the Usina, which were an exciting celebration of her career, with Marcos & Louise, Champions of Tango de Pista 2020, as dancers, Also at the same time, “Eternamente Di Sarli” was presented with the Orquesta Típica Misteriosa Buenos Aires on the voice of Eliana Sosa, at the Amphitheater of Parque Centenario. With Carlos Rossi, as special guest, and Carla Rossi and José Luis Salvo, as guest dancers, not to mention that at the same time there was a class and exhibition by Soledad Rivero and Cristian Gallardo.
- From 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Tango BA drinks the Historic Quarter. He toured one of the most emblematic areas of the City while enjoying concerts, guided tours, and dance shows. In addition, throughout the afternoon, “La Calle de la Música” came to life on a stage set up on the corner of Chile and Balcarce: where Ache Rey & Foul Envido Tango performed; Vanina Tagini & Gabriel Merlino Trío; Alfredo Piro and Profética y Fatal.
- At 7:00 pm: Walter Ríos Quinteto presented El Tango y la Danza in the Amphitheater of Parque Centenario. A musical journey through the history of tango, from its origins to its contemporary expression.
- At 8 pm: Cantá began at the Festival at the Carlos Gardel Cultural Space, with Alberto Bianco as host. Those who dare will be able to show their talent and love for tango on stage
- 12:30 pm: at the Usina del Arte, the Qualifying Rounds of the Tango World Cup were held, in the Tango Track Category.
- 5:30 pm: in Sur en Vivo – Cultural Center – Milonga del Pueblo by Oscar Héctor, Cantá took place at the Festival, with Alberto Bianco as host. An open microphone for tango players who want to break it on stage.
- 6:00 pm: The Emilio Balcarce Tango School Orchestra presented a tribute to Elvino Vardaro, the great senior violinist of tango, at the Centennial Park Amphitheater. Roberto Leiva & Valentina Cipollone will dance.
- 5 pm: Milonga Lo de Celia Photographic show Espíritu Milonguero, by Silvia Rojas and the magazine La Milonga Argentina.
- 7 pm: Milonga Lo de Celia and there was a talk about the spirit of the Argentine milonga, with Silvia Rojas and guests.
- At 1 pm: in the Auditorium of the @usinadelarte (it is a unique space that brings together people from all over the world through the love of tango and dance) where all the qualifying rounds of the Dance World Cup were seen, in In the Stage Tango Category, here each couple presented themselves individually where they demonstrated all their talent to the whole world both live and on the web (internet)
- 6pm: The Milonga La Nacional begins with the presentation of My life in the milongas, by Oscar Héctor. The dancer, milonguero and organizer of spaces, portrays what he has experienced from the age of 9 to the present in the neighborhood clubs.
- 8pm: Milonga El Beso and Hugo Mastrolorenzo presents his book: El tango ha died on stage. A dystopian tale about a robotic and cloned tango.
- A concert was held from Italy in tribute to Astor Piazzolla, and another from Japan with a repertoire of classics and new compositions
- There were classes and shows in emblematic milongas, proposals in cultural spaces, and the show Remembranzas, by Corporación Tango, in the Centennial Park Amphitheater. In addition, at the Usina del Arte, José Colangelo celebrated his 80 years with special guests: Gabriela Rey, Laura Colangelo and Fabián Bertero.
On September 25 and 26:
The grand finale of the BA Tango World Cup began, which will be enjoyed both live and through social networks from Vivamos Cultura; This final was very striking since for the first time the great stage set up was on Diagonal Norte, with the Obelisk in the background, giving it a unique image and experience, with different shows and tributes that filled the heart of the City with tango mysticism with:
- Concert by the Sans Souci Orchestra, presented by Porteñisimo with the singers Emiliano Castignola and Walter “Chino” Laborde.
- An emotional tribute was made to Juan Carlos Copes, who died this year, in which Johana Copes, his daughter, participated.
- 32 couples took the stage to compete for 1st place in the Tango de Pista category.
- Pablo Banchero accompanied by a guitar trio presented Serenatas de Arrabal.
- The Sexteto Mayor, which together with Roxana Fontán, performed a repertoire with classic themes from all periods and compositions by contemporary authors.
- The dancers María Nieves and Silvia Toscano, “La Cachorra”, met in a public talk in which María Nieves told the story of how she brought tango to the stage.
- At the end, a tribute show to “Tango Argentino” was held, a show by Claudio Segovia and Héctor Orezzoli, which was decisive in the international recognition of tango. This tribute included exhibitions by important dancers such as Milena Plebs and Fernando Carrasco, Vanina Bilous and Javier Rodríguez, Guillermina Quiroga and Mariano Logiudice and Analía Morales and Gabriel Ponce. The general direction was in charge of Julio Zurita.
And at the moment of the climax, a great emotion was experienced when Fernando Bravo finally announced the winners in each category, not to mention that the couple chosen by the public was awarded in celebration mode.
“The world champions to the couples formed by Agustín Agnez and Bárbara Ferreyra in Tango de Pista; and Emmanuel Casal and Yanina Muzyka in Stage Tango. ”
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, many people could not be at this beautiful festival, so the organizers made a great gesture with all their followers and transmitted it live by streaming to the whole world on Vivamos Cultura and the Canal de la City with the conduction of the event was in charge of Carlitos Lin and the awards, in charge of Fernando Bravo, so that he would know how the event was going and they could enjoy it from the comfort and safety of their homes.
If you want more details or videos of the event held:
- Facebook: @FestivalesGCBA
- In Buenos Aires I held the Tango Festival and World Cup 2021 - October 4, 2021
- La Zebra Hotel, Tulum – The Hotel of the ancient Mayan city. - September 30, 2021
- Salsoteca Lavoe returns with events and fun 2021 - September 30, 2021